Tuesday, October 24, 2006

The Kite Runner


By Khaled Hosseini



In the interest of keeping this blog fresh, while I am catching up, I intend to review several of the books that I have read recently, but haven't reviewed. This is the first in that series.

This book is probably one of the two best books I've read this year. It was beautifully written. I was caught up in the story right from the get-go, and I literally stayed awake into the wee hours to finish this book. I could not put it down.

The Kite Runner begins as a story of friendship. We are introduced to Amir, the son of a wealthy Afghani businessman, Baba. We also meet Amir's playmate Hassan, the son of Baba's caretaker. Hassan is born with a hare lip, and although very poor, he and Amir develop a cautious friendship. Hassan adores Amir with his whole heart, and Amir is torn about his feelings for Hassan. One part of him believes Hassan to be his best friend, and the other part of him is aware of the social status, and realizes that Hassan is more a servant than a friend. Hassan's loyalty to Amir eventually leads to Amir's disloyalty to Hassan. This novel fully investigates the relationship between two people in such an intense manner. As Amir and Baba move to America, Amir continues to be haunted by his past, and only years later when some unexpected information arrives, does Amir return to his homeland of Afghanistan, now under Taliban leadership.

This book is amazing on so many levels. The story of Amir and Hassan itself is a wonderful story. As we are reading this book though, we also get a great dose of Afghanistan's history and culture. It bring such an awareness of what life was like for so many Afghani people, that at times, I wondered if I was actually reading a biography. It is so realistic and thought provoking. One reviewer on Amazon likened this book to reading a memoir. Such an extraordinary work of fiction, The Kite Runner was a fantastic book. A bit gritty at times, and very real in a sense, but superbly written in simple to read and colorful prose. I challenge anyone to read this novel and not enjoy it. This is one that will be re-read many times over, I enjoyed it that much. Do check it out if you get a chance, I promise a spectacular read ahead.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Check these books out, they are all informative and from native authors.

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books by Azar Nafisi
Come Back to Afghanistan: A California Teenager's Story by Said Hyder Akbar
A Border Passage: From Cairo to America--A Woman's Journey by Leila Ahmed
The Story of My Life: An Afghan Girl on the Other Side of the Sky by Farah Ahmedi

Erika W. said...

Thanks so much for the suggestions Erin! I also believe that Khaled Hosseini has a new one coming out this spring that features women as the main characters. I'm very excited for that one.