Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Princess: A True Story Of Life Behind The Veil



This one is along the lines of the book I reviewed yesterday. Except that this book IS a memoir. This was a choice for my virtual discussion group, and I probably never would have read this if it hadn't been for that.


Sultana is a young Saudi princess. This book is the story of her life growing up in Saudi Arabia and becoming a young woman. It's such a haunting story because it's true. The events in this book actually happened, and it is truly a mind-opening experience to the plight of Saudi Arabian women. My heart went out to Sultana so many times over. And not just to her, but also to her friends and family, and all the other Saudi women. Sultana had to change her name for these stories. She took her story and personal diaries to her friend, author Jean Sasson, who has turned this into a gripping tale of Islamic persecution. It was extremely eye-opening to see what happens to the women of Saudi Arabia, all in the name of Allah. At the end of the book, there is an appendix with passages from the Q'uran that show where the reasoning comes from for the treatment of women.
One thing to keep in mind while reading this book is the timing. All of this has taken place years ago, since then, I am sure that some things have changed, and maybe some of the extremism has been tempered. But for the most part...it's sad to think that women are still regarded in the same manner- as possessions that are disposable. Boys are treasured in Saudi Arabia. A woman prays and prays to become pregnant with a boy. The boys will confirm the status of a man, and carry on his line. Girls will eventually become the same as their mothers- mere possessions. Little girls are raised with a more relaxed hand. Some go to school, but most don't. They are watched over very carefully by the male members of their family, but the real test of a woman comes after her first menses. Then she is officially a woman, and it is an honor for her to be able to go shopping to choose her very first burka- the veil worn by all Saudi woman. It becomes a sin for the woman to appear in public without her veil- and until she is married, she must be accompanied by a male relative to do the simple tasks, like going shopping.
There are so many other details I could share, but I will leave it there. This book was a quick read because it was so fascinating and intriguing. The Sultana novel has become a series, and although I haven't read the others, I suspect they are equally as eye opening. Definitely a recommended book here.

2 comments:

chrispy said...

Erika, This book is so true. I grew up in Saudi Arabia and yes time has passed since the writing of this book. Things have not changed. The culture still treats women the same. This will not change until Islam changes and Islam will not change unless it dies.
I had a friend in High School dragged across her kitchen by her long hair because he did not like me. My only fault was that I was a Christian. I continued to come over when he was at work but I would wear an abaya so that no one knew it was me.
That may have been ten years ago but things continue to happen. I was there a year ago and it is actually scarier to be a woman now than when I was in High School.

Erika W. said...

Wow Chrispy, that is so sad to hear. My heart just breaks for those women who have no choice but to follow the rules. That had to have been scary at times living there, I know I truly cannot imagine what it must be like there.