Wednesday, September 27, 2006

My Antonia

Oh my. First I feel like I owe an apology. My reading has fallen sorely behind. I'm not sure what I've been so busy doing, but I've been busy apparently. Hopefully my schedule will even out soon.

My Antonia

by Willa Cather

This is a classic. This is a novel first published in 1918, and by a woman. Which at the time, there were very few women writers. Willa Cather wrote three books about Pioneer life, one called O Pioneers! And the one I read, My Antonia. This was my selection for my virtual discussion group. There are so many classic novels that I haven't read, and I though this one looked like a good choice, without being too controversial.

The story was divided up into 5 shorter pieces, and each was actually the story of Jim and the events of his life, many of which involved or included Antonia, a Bohemian transplant to Nebraska. This book does not spare the details of the harsh life on the prairie for settlers and immigrants, I'll give it that. Death and hard times were very common in the pioneer days. The story goes from Jim and Antonia's youth to their mid-forties or so, when life has changed for both of them.

While I was glad to have read this book, I can't say that I would highly recommend it. To be honest, as far as Pioneer life goes, I would find Laura Ingalls Wilder much more interesting of a read. But My Antonia is a nicely told story. It flows nicely, and the voice is consistent. It does leave out some of the details though. There were many times where I would have liked a little more description or clarification.

Overall, a nice read. If you want to read one of the great classics, pick this book up. But if you want to read something gripping that keeps you going back for more, I would recommend you pass this book by.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Erika-
I just read My Antonia again this summer. There is something sad and strong about her. It makes me long for country life--canning, doing chores on the farm etc. When I felt the story wrapping up, I wished that it wouldn't end.

I'm on a classics kick right now...trying to read all the ones I felt like I've missed or overlooked so far in my life. I'm currently reading East of Eden by Steinbeck. Have you ever read it? I wish I had someone to discuss it with. I get that there are tons of Biblical allusions, and I know some of the details that seem random aren't, but I can't wrap my brain around it. I need my Faith and Modern Literature discussion class again!

-belle

Erika W. said...

Oh my gosh! A post on my book blog! Sorry, I don't check here every day when I'm not reading as much, I've gotten terribly behind.

Part of what I want to do is read all the classics I haven't read. We read so few in high school, and I feel like I'm missing out on dome great stuff. I've never read East of Eden, but if I get to the library this week, I'll see if they have it. I was one of the oddballs who enjoyed The Grapes Of Wrath, so I would gladly read something else he wrote. I'll let you know if I get going on it.

All Things Jennifer said...

Oh no! I just got this book in the mail this week from paperback swap and it is on my book list for the year, maybe I will wait after all...

A book blog too! :) Hurrah!

Erika W. said...

Hi Jennifer! Yeah... too many blogs, not enough time. If you haven't read My Antonia yet, it definitely was worth reading. It just wasn't quite what I expected.

I am almost finished with East of Eden tight now though, and I have to say that I am sooo glad to have picked it up. Watch for a posting on it in the days to come.