Saturday, September 02, 2006

The Storekeeper's Daughter


by Wanda Brunstetter


Well, I simply had to go back and read the first book by Wanda Brunstetter. And I will say this, read them in order. I knew what was going to happen in this one, and I found myself anticipating it, and it almost made it difficult to read. I mean, I got caught up in the lives of these people. I wanted them to make different choices, different decisions. And I found myself crying along with their pain and sharing their joy as well. Basically, another great book. And yes, this has a lot of the spiritual stuff in it as well, so if that's not your thing...

Once again though, I find myself amazed at the Amish people. I know for a fact that the author has not taken liberties with the generalities of the Amish people. What we are reading, is very much how life is among the Plain people. The whole aspect of Amish courting is amazing, and the fact that before every decision is made, a quick prayer is sent off to ask for guidance. Simply amazing.

I am really looking forward to reading the third part of this series, The Bishop's Daughter. I feel like I know these people well, and there are some conclusions that must be brought into the lives of these families. I can only hope that my patience is rewarded.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am fascinated by literature about the Amish life as well. This looks good...where would I find it?

Erika W. said...

Claire, I found these at my library, but I also know my local Christian bookstore has them- and Amazon does too. These are good enough to read over and over- that I think I may end up buying the series.