Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Children of God


by Mary Doria Russell

I stand corrected. I stand completely corrected. A few weeks ago I read The Sparrow, by this same author, and if you read the review, you saw that I was uncertain about it. My biggest problem with it was that so many questions were left unanswered. Often times, that's perfectly fine for me in a novel- it leaves endings to the imagination. But in this case, it just seemed... unfinished. And there was a reason for that. It was unfinished. Completely unfinished.

The very beginning of Children of God answers a question or two and then continues to answer throughout. We see reason for prior events, and we discover new events that we find we care about immensely. Unfortunately, in this case, I have to say that I cannot say much about this book. Saying much of anything will reveal things about this book that are best left unsaid, and allow the reader to reveal for themselves in due time. I can say that I could not put this book down, not in the least. I can also say that I highly recommend the pair of books together. They go together like peas and carrots, and The Sparrow by itself is seriously lacking. Children of God by itself would lack the emotional drama, not to mention the sheer confusion that would abound. Together they make a complete story that makes one want to rise and give a standing ovation.

And Someone thinks that these books will be added to the household library and read again in the future.

No comments: