Friday, July 20, 2007

Mozart's Sister


by Nancy Moser

This book is the story of Nannerl Mozart, the sister of famed composer, Wolfgang Mozart. Historically, very little is known about Nannerl, other than that she was his sister, and that although she herself was talented in music, she never got the chance that her younger brother had, simply because she was a woman.

This story is historical fiction. Much of it is historically accurate and gleaned together from family letters saved by the Mozart family. The fictional aspects brought into it fit right in, and I certainly cannot tell fact from fiction in this novel. I loved this book. It was very well told and I was drawn right in to Nannerl's plight to be heard. I literally could not put this book down, with every page turn I hoped that her time would come soon. I found myself tearing up several times during this book as Nannerl and her parents gave up everything for the sake of young Wolfie. Nannerl even gave up her heart as a result of his unbecoming behavior towards the archbishop.

Well told, and full of historical information and insight into the Mozart family, I highly recommend this book for any fan of historical fiction, or for anyone who enjoys classical music.

No comments: