Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Sense and Sensibility


by Jane Austen

I've never read Jane Austen before. In fact, once again while I was reading I found myself lamenting the poor choices the powers that be had us read in high school. Where was the literature? I took two years of Literature and Composition, and you know what I remember reading? 1984, Dune, The Shining, One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest, Of Mice and Men, The Grapes of Wrath, In Cold Blood, and some Shakespeare. I enjoyed most of them, except Dune. But none of them really were challenging to read in any way. Ah, except one horrible experience with Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. And maybe that awful novel was the reason we never were challenged further?

Anyway, while it did take me a few pages to become accustomed to Ms. Austen's writing style, it didn't take long to become a page turner. I did not know the story of Sense and Sensibility, as I have also not seen any screen adaptations. Apparently I was missing out on something grand because I loved this story. I did get confused on occasion as to which Miss Dashwood was being discussed, but mostly, I thought the story of love and family and friendship was enchanting. I was transported straight to that time period, and I desperately wanted to be invited to one of the many social engagements the Dashwoods found themselves invited to. This novel also showcased the importance of money in the nineteenth century. People married for money, and the lack of money led to lesser choices for a suitable match.

Sense and Sensibility was Jane Austen's first novel to be published, and as I have learned further novels became more and more complex. I will most definitely be seeking out others, including Pride and Prejudice, Emma, and Mansfield Park. And I will definitely have to find the movie of Sense and Sensibility because I could just see Hugh Grant as Wiloughby in my mind. I am infinitely glad that I curled up with this novel, and I will not shy away from more.

No comments: