Friday, March 09, 2007

The Nasty Bits


by Anthony Bourdain

I've been reading this book on and off for the last few months. It truly is a gem. It is a collection of articles and vignettes, and perfect for filling in the cracks between full-length novels. Or for that 15 minutes before you have to run out the door. I was already a fan of Anthony Bourdain before reading this book. I truly enjoy watching his show, No Reservations, on the Travel Channel. He has such a zest for exploring a new culture, and he is so gracious to his hosts. While he'll tell the camera when something really isn't good, he will profusely thank the host and the chef at the time, because he fully appreciates the effort they put into the dish.

The Nasty Bits was just a fun book to read. Full of commentary from Anthony Bourdain on the restaurant industry, travel, and The Food Network. He has a sincere appreciation for the little guy, and it shows in his writing. He has such a clear voice when he writes too, I feel like I'm in a room having a conversation with the guy, it's such a conversational tone. I would earnestly recommend this book to any foodie or fan of Anthony Bourdain. There are some adult references and some language, so I wouldn't recommend it for just anyone, or for someone under the age of 18, but it really was an enjoyable book to read. And it sure makes me want to travel to Vietnam.

No comments: