Tuesday, August 22, 2006

After the Rice




by Wendy French

I saw this book today at the library, and it looked like a fun read. The back was promising, and I was really in the mood for some chick-lit. You know, a book I could sit down and read in just a few hours, and I did just that. Why watch a movie when you can read an equally entertaining novel. This quick paced book was based around the harried life of a newlywed. Everything in her life comes to a head at once, and newly married, her and her husband are still trying to figure out the place for their extended family in their new life together.

Megan is a college student, looking for direction while her husband works. And then one day, Megan suspects she is pregnant, and didn't plan to be. All at once her and her husband become hosts as an Uncle, Sister, and Infant Niece all move in at once. And everything that can go wrong does go wrong.

This was a very fun book to read. The author, Wendy French has a real gift for dialogue. The banter that occurs among the different family members is priceless. You can imagine that it is your family having the conversation- true hialrity at its finest. I seriously wish Wendy French would consider a career as a playwright- she has such talent for witty dialogue that would make a fantastic script. All in all, I enjoyed reading this book, and was happy to spend an hour or two curled up with it. While I didn't agree morally with some of the goings on in the book, it was still enjoyable. So if you're looking for a fun, quick read, this is your girl. After the Rice by Wendy French, chick-lit at it's finest. She also has two books called sMothering and Going Coastal, and I may just have to get my library to pick them up for me when I have another day with some time to spare.

No comments: