Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Jasmine Moon Murder/ Chamomile Mourning



by Laura Childs.

One of the first series of books I dove myself into when I was young was the Nancy Drew mysteries. My Grandma gave me my first books- about 12 in all, and I fell in love. The mystery, the intrigue, the excitement of teenage girls solving crime! This was more exciting than Harriet The Spy- also a favorite. I don't read very much mystery these days. Occasionally a John Grisham, or the more suspenseful (and occasionally gruesome) Dean Koontz. But I've really been enjoying the Tea Shop Mystery series by Laura Childs. She writes so beautifully, that I actually feel like I'm in Charleston, South Carolina, sampling some of the teas, or Haley's delicious scones.

Theodosia is our tea shop proprietor. Theodosia used to be a successful Marketing and PR person, and traded in the hustle and bustle of corporate world to open a quaint and cozy tea shop. Theo also has a knack for solving riddles, which goes hand in hand with her knack for being present at the occasion of a murder. With the help of her employees, Drayton and Haley, and the stalwart detective Tidwell, Theo plunges headfirst into a real life mystery dotted with fancy tea parties and social obligations. While the writing does tend to be predictable, the Tea Shop Mysteries are still enjoyable to read. And even better are the discussions of teas and pastries, that really leave my mouth watering for a spot of tea.

One review does cover all the books by Laura Childs. They are formulaic and a bit predictable, but they are enjoyable, and I'm looking forward to checking out the newest adventures of Theodosia Browning in Blood Orange Brewing. Fans of mysteries will enjoy this series, and fans of tea and food will also enjoy this series. At the very least, it will leave you clamoring for a cup of real tea, and give you tips for making a great pot of it.

No comments: