Monday, December 31, 2007

The China Study


by T. Colin Campbell

I read this book after a recommendation I saw on a bulletin board I frequent. I had heard it gave compelling evidence as to why a vegan or vegetarian diet eliminates disease and encourages longevity. In short, it was about health and a study that was done on the impact of meat products- actual meat, as well as eggs and dairy.

Let me start out by saying that this was a very dry read. I expected a book along the lines of a fad diet book- a little bit of dialogue, followed by an eating plan using the information from the first section of the book. Instead, I found scientific study after scientific study, and I have to admit that a lot of that, I really skimmed over. I wasn't so much interested in the actual science, I just wanted to know the results and conclusions drawn from said science. What I found was indeed, a very compelling arguement for switching to a plant-based diet. And had I just rested on this book alone, I would have made a switch immediately. However, there are holes in the science found here.

For example, a lot was made about dairy products causing early puberty in teen girls, as well as causing breast cancer later on in life. But there wasn't any information as to whether the dairy examined was hormone-free or organic, or perhaps even unpasteurized. What if it's actually the pasteurization process that causes these things? And what if it's hormones. These variables weren't addressed. I can see that loud and clear, and I'm not even a scientist.

I can't recommend this book one way or the other, because it was very informative, and did give me a lot to think on. But I could easily see someone reading this and then instantly giving up meat and dairy because they're afraid for their lives- it's a little alarmist in that respect. However. If you are looking for some good scientific information, I don't doubt the studies done, I just think they're only one aspect of the big picture. This book did make me take a good hard look at my family's diet, and we will be making some changes because of it. I do plan to move more towards a plant-based diet, because I think in the long run we'll be healthier because of it. But I don't think we'll be eschewing meat altogether, just making it less of a focus.

I've also decided that I'm only going to buy milk that is completely hormone free- and organic if feasible at the time. I have never been one to harp on my children to drink all their milk, but I'm going to also stop giving them milk to drink every night at dinner. Sometime, sure, but as evidenced in The China Study, there is plenty of calcium and vitamin A in many of the foods my children already enjoy eating. There's no reason for me to go overboard, just because the milk marketing board wants me to do so.

In order to make a clear judgment, you'll just have to pick this one up for yourself. Just be forwarned, it's a science book, and the study referenced-The China Study actually makes up very little of the book. If you do read this one, I would love to know what you think, as I am sure the information I gleaned from it will be in my mind for a very long time.

No comments: