Saturday, February 24, 2007

Ireland


by Frank Delaney

I have to admit, I was disappointed with this book. This was a selection from Zooba when I was a member, and I bought it without really knowing what it was about. What I was expecting was some kind of historical fiction about Ireland. What I got was basically a collection of short stories and Irish folklore disguised as a novel. At the beginning we meet a storyteller and it is he who carries the book with story after story about some of the folklore of Ireland. Was it entertaining? Somewhat, some of the stories were neat. But I have no idea if these stories are actually part of Irish legend or if they were just made up for this book. Overall, this one was a bit of a disappointment. The continuity from story to story was seriously lacking, and I would have a hard time recommending this without reservations.

No comments: